Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Bit of Platform Skills – don’t listen to so called “experts”, develop your very own style and be good at it!



Should you, as a trainer, laugh or not laugh at your jokes and stories

Many so called experts, especially Master Trainers in Train-the-Trainer programmes, tell you to strictly follow their style. This, they say, is the ultimate approach. The problem is that these “experts” went to just one Train-the-Trainer programme in their life. They picked up every detail that their “Master” dished out of his/her magic bag. For the rest of their life as trainers they have used only that method.

For example, some of these so called "experts" say that you should not laugh at your own jokes and stories during a training programme. What I suggest is that you should develop your style. Some of you may like the idea of not laughing at your own jokes and stories. Well that’s your style – great for you!

My style is different. I like to enjoy humor with my participants. I believe that laughter is a universal language that helps me to connect with my audience. Sometimes I may also use laughter to inform participants its time to laugh and lighten the climate (its almost like holding an “Applause” sign board). I believe, laughter is contagious, you laugh and your participants laugh with you. Well, that's my style!

You may want to develop a different style – entirely your own. Great, go ahead!

If you are a Master Trainer, you should encourage new trainers to develop their style. You should use your experience and knowledge to help them achieve their best performance. “CELEBRATE DIFFERENCES” is the key.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here